We are pleased to announce the 2018 Signature Artist is Dan Chen.
Dan Chen - Artist Biography
My deep love of nature inspired me to become an artist.
Being an artist is a blessing. It is a gift from God. It is a bitter and sweet journey--a mission of being.
I believe in God, the ultimate creator of all things. I know that my existence was not an accident. There is a reason for us to be alive in this world. Also, we were all created differently. We all have different gifts and talents. Not that there is one better than the other, but we all have a responsibility for the talent which we have been given. These gifts or talents are not meant for keeping, but for sharing or serving others in this world to enrich our being. As an artist, I believe that technique can be learned and refined; but we are not in control of our creative thoughts because that is a gift. We are the instrument used to accomplish the mission and purpose of our life. We will be held accountable for what we have been given and how well we have used our talent to function as created. This may seem like a religion, but to me it is not only that, but an acceptance and acknowledgement as well.
Nature and wildlife are a major theme in my work. I cannot fathom the mystery yet perfect balance of the natural world. Its color, shape, design, function, even its emotion excites me. Nature teaches me how to paint and teaches me how to sculpt.
I don’t like to limit myself to just one or two mediums because different subjects seem to require different mediums to do them honor. Whether the medium is drawing, painting or sculpture, it allows me to express my art in a new way. The mediums and techniques are merely vehicles to achieve my goal which is to express personal feelings toward the essence of the subject and to convey its energy and message. I use my own personal experiences, knowledge and technical ability combined with descriptive forms, lines, and surfaces to engage and communicate with the viewer.
This is my goal and my mission. I am in this personal journey.
▪ Born and raised in southern China in the city of Tai Sun. Immigrated to the U.S. in 1984.
▪ lived in San Francisco, California from 1984 to 1993.
▪ Moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1993 to present.
▪ Married to Michelle Liu in 1989, have three wonderful
children; Ivy, Jane and Jonathan (twins).
City College of San Francisco 1985-1986
Academyof ArtUniversity of San Francisco 1986-1989
▪ FoundedDan’s Workshop, 1987-1992
▪ Freelance Illustrator - Major client include; Intel, AT&T, Pacific bell, Sega Genesis…
▪ Design and Manufacture ceramic table top gift items.- Major client include; Macy’s, Gump’s, Bloomingdale, William-Sonoma…
▪ FoundedDan’s Design & CO. Eugene, Oregon 1993-Present
▪ Offer Limited Edition prints and cards.
▪ Full Time Artist - Mediums include; Clay, Watercolor, Pastel, Oil, and Bronze…
▪ Co-Founded, and President ofPacific Rim Art Guild 2011-Present
▪ City of McMinnville, OR.
▪ Columbia Gorge Hotel, OR.
▪ Emporia State University, KS.
▪ Scottsbluff Airport, NE.
▪ Spirit Mountain Casino, OR.
▪ Hawk’s View Golf Club, Lake Geneva, WI.
▪ SA Biosciences, MD.
▪ City of Eugene, OR.
▪ New Hope Christian College, Eugene, OR.
▪ Peace Health of Vancouver, WA.
▪ St. John Hospital breast center, Longview, WA.
▪ New Hope International, Eugene, OR.
▪Northwest Christian University, Eugene, OR
▪ Naples Botanical Garden, Naples, FL
Awards of Excellence2007(painting) Society of Animal Artists
Awards of Excellence2007(sculpture) Society of Animal Artists
The Patricia Allen Bott Award for Creative Excellence(painting)2008 Society of Animal Artists
The Juror’s Choice Award2010 (painting) “The Living River” A Juried Exhibit, Jacobs Gallery
The Evelyn and Peter Haller Memorial Award for Sculpture2010 Society of Animal Artists
Best of Show2011 (mix-medium) 24thAnnual International Exhibition on Animal in Art
Featured Artist 2013 Loveland Sculpture Invitational
Purchase Award 2014 (Sculpture) Coors Western Art Exhibit & Sale
Award of Distinction 2015 (Painting) Emerald Spring Exhibition, National Juried Show